Some facts about littering in Texas.
A person is littering if disposing of junk, garbage, refuse, or other solid waste on a public highway, public property, or inland or coastal waters.
There are several reasons for you to become involved:
- Discarding trash in a county park, near a highway, or in caves is prohibited.
- Trucks hauling materials, which can spill must cover their loads.
- Improper disposal, storage, or handling of any used oil is a felony offense - Fines up to $50,000 and 5 years in jail.
- Disposing or discarding of a lead-acid battery except to an authorized collection or recycling business is prohibited - Fines up to $4,000 and 1 year in jail
- It is illegal to have inoperable vehicle(s) visible from public right-of-ways - Fines up to $200 with the vehicle being abated.
What you can do to help?
- Through your tips we are able to investigate and take actions on sites reported to our office.
- Illegal dumping threatens our health and safety.
- Pollutants can affect the quality of our soil and groundwater.
- Dumps can be breeding grounds for rats and mosquitoes.
- Children playing around illegally dumped waste can be injured.
- Dispose of your litter properly and encourage others to do the same.
- Spread the word to friends and neighbors that illegal dumping is a crime.
- Maintain your property in accordance with the county order.
- Get involved with the ARANSAS COUNTY CLEAN TEAM or the Adopt-A-Highway Program.
- Recycle - Recycling is an important component in waste reduction efforts.
A recycling effort has managed to divert 30% of the nation's waste from landfills and reduces the need for additional landfills. Recycling reduces air & water pollution. Recycling creates additional jobs while returning valuable materials to industry. It makes economic and environmental sense to RECYCLE!
You may dispose of tires, oil, oil filters, anti-freeze, glass, plastic, tin, newspaper, batteries, aluminum, metal, and household garbage (Citizen Only), rubbish, roofing, construction material, brush, roots or limbs over 6" diameter( Citizens or Commercial). at the Aransas County Transfer Station, 872 Airport Rd, Fulton. Or plan to dispose of your trash at your next available Free Trash Program.